Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Moroni's Review of "Thor: The Dark World"

Thor: The Dark World
Two months ago, I made an arrangement with my son, Alex, that I would take him and his sister, Siobhan, to the movies for his birthday.  So earlier this month, I made good on my promise and took them to see "Thor: The Dark World", the second movie in the franchise.  So what do I think?  This is a movie that will please both kids and adults.  This movie is better than the first one, and I really liked the first one.

The film starts when Thor (Chris Hemsworth) returns to Earth when his former love interest, Dr. Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), becomes infected with a primeval dark substance called Aether.  To heal her, Thor is forced to take her into the dimension he inhabits, Asgard.  This substance causes an ancient enemy of Asgard, the Dark Elves, to awaken ad lay siege to the ancient city.

Like the first film, this story takes us to many fantastical, dream-like landscapes - the aspect of the film that I actually like the most.  It introduces us to several mystical creatures, cool weapons, and superhuman battles.  It is the characters that make us invest in the fantastical.  Chris Hemsworth bears the hammer of Thor with dignity.  Natalie Portman is just exquisite.  Stellan Skarsgard plays his best role, reprising his portrayal of Dr. Erik Selvig, the events of "Avengers" unhinging his mind.  It is always great to see Sir Anthony Hopkins on the big screen, wearing the mantle of Odin for this endeavor; who know how many more movies he will do?  But again, it is Tom Hiddleston as Loki who steals the show.  He plays the villain with such panache that it is impossible to hate him.

Obviously the franchise will go on.  There are references to "Avengers" and "Captain America" in the film, tying each of these stories into one solid narrative.  I enjoyed it.  My kids loved it.  Our consensus is that it would not be such a bad thing if this became a trilogy.  At least.

Hint:  Stay in the theater until the credits end for a view of what's to come in the Marvel World.

4 comments:

  1. Not the best stand-alone Marvel movie yet, but still a fun one that reminds us why Thor matters so much in the first place. Great review Moroni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I loved this movie too! Nice review Moroni :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't reviewed a movie since November? Jump back into the Marvel universe, go see Days of Future Past. I loved it, and it was great in that it tied all the different X-men movies together and reset some of the timeline (I won't spoil it, but certain characters should have never been killed off in the first place.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually going to see it today. I really need to catch up with this blog.

    ReplyDelete