Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Moroni's Review of "Star Trek Into Darkness"

"Star Trek" has been a part of my life since I was a child.  My dad loved the TV show, and some of my first memories are watching re-runs on Saturday with him.  (I was really scared of the white ape with the horn.) Over the years, I have been a dedicated fan - the motion pictures, the newer TV shows.  I was even a fan when the franchise became ridiculous (Star Trek V, anyone?)  or cheap.  (They used the same footage of the Klingon ship blowing up in "Star Trek: Generations" as they did in "Star Trek VI".)

That said, I have been waiting for this movie (the sequel to the 2009 reboot) for many, many months.  But this is a difficult review to write.  How do you write about a movie that centers around a huge secret plot surprise?  Sure, it's all over the internet, but I am opting not to give away any spoilers.

"Star Trek Into Darkness" returns with the crew of the Enterprise shortly after we left them.  Captain Kirk (played to the "T" for Tiberius by Chris Pine) gets reprimanded for his rogue behavior, but this is short-lived when a terrorist attack occurs in a futuristic London, perpetrated by a Star Fleet operative gone bad named John Harrison (played by Benedict Cumberbatch - say that three times really fast.)  The Enterprise travels to the edge of the Neutral Zone with the Klingon Empire where Kirk and the others are plunged into a conspiracy that may cost them their lives and peace in the entire Federation.

First of all, J.J. Abrams proves that he is the man to successfully reboot this franchise.  The thing I like about his vision is that he gives the movie the same feel that the original series possessed - the drama, the spectacular fist fights, something that previous movies or TV shows greatly lacked.  This is the Star Trek of my childhood - but with much cooler special effects.  The movie is fast-paced and exciting from start to finish.  If he can do for "Star Wars" what he did for "Star Trek", then I am happily awaiting the year 2015.

I am a huge fan of Benedict Cumberbatch in the BBC show "Sherlock".  So I was pleased to learn that he would be playing the villain.  He steals the show in every sense of the word, burying himself into his villainous role every bit as much as Ricardo Montalban.  (Can I say that?)

Zachary Quinto is once again perfect in his reprisal of Spock, and Zoe Baldana is a kick-ass Uhuru.  Simon Pegg gives comic relief as Scotty.  But the other characters (Karl Urban as Bones, John Cho as Sulu, and Anton Yelchin as Chekov) were curiously lacking, like backdrops, rather than characters.  The beautiful Alice Eve takes on the role of Dr. Carol Marcus, the role made famous in 1982 by Bibi Bisch.  It was nice to see Peter Weller in the role of Admiral Marcus.  I just recently watched "Buckaroo Banzai" online and was wondering what ever happened to him.

And if the original "Star Trek" was a little cheesy, well, there is a very cheesy scene where they practically recreate a scene right out of "Star Trek II", complete with a character shouting out another character's name.  But you soon forget the cheese, because, all in all, this movie is a very fun ride.

Seriously, though, that's all that I khan tell you...

1 comment:

  1. Great review Moroni. It is easily the best film of the year so far and gets me really excited for what’s next to come this summer. Hopefully the adrenaline continues to rush.

    ReplyDelete